Friday, August 20, 2010

How do I deal with my wife and her dog?

Our second dog (3 months old Calerhula cur) keeps going pee and poo in the house. Yes I keep her in a crate. But my wife keeps letting her out. Last night I got up in the middle of the night because the puppy was crying, to let her out. My Schnauzer ran outside and the puppy ran in the living room and peed before I could grap her. When I did grap her by the back of the neck she cried. I then brought outside . My wife is absolutely livet with me. Because of my behavor. She says that I make the dog scared. I asked her what she would do? No answer. Other then tell her no and put her outside. The dog is wrecking my house and my marrage. The stupit dog cause us to fight all the time.How do I deal with my wife and her dog?
My hubby and I have our most horrible arguements about the dog. Same exact situation. He expects me to discipline the dog just like he would and I don't. He's very frustrated that the dog isn't trained according to what he thinks is appropriate, and frustrated with me that I just don't set my mind to do it and then do it. With our last dog I actually took him to obedience class and everything to show my hubby how I was trying hard, but it did no good, too little too late into the cycle. The dog then becomes a huge source of arguing and resentment, and ultimately it's the dog that suffers. We ended up giving our last dog to a nice family and then got a new dog...guess what, the same exact thing is happening with the new dog. I think I'm a moron for thinking things will change. I'm still not that great of a disciplinarian, and hubby still expects me to be, cycle starting all over again.How do I deal with my wife and her dog?
Crate train the puppy. If you have to pick her up and carry her outside or use a leash.





Start obedience classes.
Crate the wife up.
Have you tried putting your wife in the kennel? LOL Someone in your household needs to take control of the puppy, or it will become an unruly dog and we might see you on the TV show ';It is me or the Dog';. It is not helpful to punish a dog unless you catch it in the act. Dogs have no memory. They live in the present. I'm not sure how big your dog is, but it might be a good idea to carry it outdoors when you take her out of the kennel. If she doesn't go potty, put her back in the kennel. Puppies have very small bladders. They have to go after sleeping, eating, playing -- well you get the idea. They physically cannot hold it. Don't punish the dog other than to say ';NO'; if you catch her squatting or sniffing like he has to go. Choose a word for going potty. Say the word when she goes, ';good dog';, and give her a reward. I use dog treats. In dog training, reward the behavior you want, try to ignore bad behavior. Make sure you don't reward what you don't want (like jumping up). I highly recommend enrolling her in a dog training class.
I seen this question and I was ready to let you have it for not being more considerate but did I ever change my mind. I am now eating crow and I don't like it.


Your wife needs to realize that the dog needs to be trained the right way because the dog is getting mixed signals. It doesn't know which way to 'go'. Have you tried the new pads they have out for training dogs? I got some and my dog basically trained herself. There is some kind of scent that attracts the dog to them. Your wife is right in the fact that you are making the dog scared but at this point I can see why. Is there a professional trainer in the area?





What you may try and you probably already have, is to put the dog out to ''go'; first thing in the morning, right after it eats or plays and watch it when it drinks it may give signals it needs to go. Take away the water a couple hours 1 or 2 before bedtime so it won't have anything in its system to get out. You need to tell the dog when it has to go and not let the dog tell you.





There is another excellent answer posted to a question kinda like this one and I have posted the link to it. Good luck, and I am sorry for judging to soon. The crow is terrible.
Ok, hate to say it, but you are at fault.





When you let the puppy out of the crate you should have carried it outside or put it on a lead and given it no opportunity to toilet in the house.





Yes it is a puppy but it's not a new born and you should not be picking up by the neck.





What you have done is repremanded the puppy physically. By scaring the puppy after a toileting accident all you're doing is making toilet training more difficult as the dog will be too scared to toilet in front of you.





The puppy is both of your responsibilities, you need to sit down and put some rules in place that you will both follow so that you do not fight about it.





When puppy wakes up, after its' eaten and after playing it will need to go the toilet. You shouldn't take your eyes off the dog because any opportunity you give the dog to toilet in the house re-enforces the behaviour and therefore makes it more difficult to toilet train.





Going forward, if the dog has an accident in the house and you see it happening, give a firm NO, do not raise your voice, do not run at the dog, take the dog outside to finish its' business, this is why it is important not to scare the dog otherwise it will not finish its' business outside. Once it starts to toilet in the right spot, you calmly say ';Good Toilet';, once the dog has finished, lay on the praise big time and have a play with the puppy to show that the yard is also a fun place to be. Now, when the puppy cries overnight in the crate and you take it out to the toilet, praise the dog but do not play with it as you want it to go back to sleep.





If the dog has an accident in the house that you did NOT see, you can NOT repremand the dog, simply clean it up and get over it and hit your yourself for not watching the dog. Make sure you clean it up with a special 'Accident' Spray you can get from your pet store, this will remove the scent the dog can smell but you can't, this indicates to the dog that it should toilet there again.





If you have not been using this spray, I reccomend you get your carpets cleaned so you can start out fresh.





If I were you, I would apologise to your wife for your behaviour and say you want to sit down and plan out how the puppy should be trained so your both working on the same page.





The training must be 100% consistent for the dog to understand.





Side note: Your dog has a small bladder and may not be reliably house trained until it is 4-6 months of age and this is why you must never take your eye off the dog and take it into the yard very regularily to toilet.





The dog must NOT be crated 24/7, the dog should only be crated when it sleeps, ignore the idiot who THINKS they are a Behaviourist who said that.





All the best.
Have you ever considered dog training? Your dog is not stupid. It is obvious that your dog doesn't understand what you want it to do. That is not the dog's fault, but the human's for not being able to make it clear to the dog. Instead of fighting with your wife about it, why don't you both march down to the Petsmart and sign up for classes?
If she isn't in a kennel, at least try putting up a baby gate so she can't get in the living room at night.
Who's house is it? If you are that upset with dealing with the dog, make your wife have sole responsibility. Sometimes the less said the better
You did not hurt the dog by grabing the nape of the neck. The mother does that to carry them. They cry in protest not because it hurts, but mom pays no attention to that.





Second, puppy needs to be in the crate until she is housetrained.

No comments:

Post a Comment