Friday, August 20, 2010

My wife is pregnant and is having a hard time smoking. She has cut back how do I help her fully quit?

I have quit to support her, provided literature and even tried not to be so overly nagging about it. I need help and so does my wife and unborn child.My wife is pregnant and is having a hard time smoking. She has cut back how do I help her fully quit?
Yikes.


I don't know how I feel about hypnosis, but I have to tell you, if she tries that, it may do the trick.


My aunt said it was the only think that helped her.My wife is pregnant and is having a hard time smoking. She has cut back how do I help her fully quit?
I am not going to lie, I am having a hard time quitting smoking too.... My husband and I have picked a quit date, which is 4 weeks from the 19th and I know I need to go through with it because I don't want to hurt the baby. Plus I don't want my baby to be around smoke or anything, I don't want to have it on my clothes or hair either even if I wash my hands it will still be on me and I don't want my baby exposed to that. I tried calling our states local quit line and they have a counseling thing set up for when I begin to quit.





I also asked my doctor about it hoping he would tell me something horrible about smoking and make me really want to quit and he did the complete opposite of that he said, ';Well smoking doesn't do any good, but it doesn't really do any harm.'; I don't know if I really trust that but I don't know. That definitely didn't help with my motivation. I don't want to be like all of my aunts who still smoke and did while they were pregnant too.... What better time to quit than now? I am having a hard time remembering why, but it is getting better with time. Any time is a good time to stop, don't let her stress over it too much and try not to stress over it either. Stress wont help the situation at all.
How far along is she? I found out right around 5 weeks, cut back immediately %26amp; quit completely around 7 or 8 weeks. I kept giving myself another day to smoke one more. She just has to realize her mind is making her smoke %26amp; she has to be stronger than her mind (which is tough). The two bits of info that I always think about when I get the urge to smoke %26amp; that got me to quit was that smoking causes SIDS. Could you imagine carrying your baby full term, falling in love w/ them while pregnant %26amp; again when they are born %26amp; then losing them to SIDS b/c of your smoking? %26amp; the other thing is that when you take a drag, the smoke fills the womb %26amp; the baby can cough. The thought of me making my baby cough was disgusting to me %26amp; I cannot imagine doing it to him. I thought I'd never be able to go a minute w/out thinking about smoking, it consumed my every thought, but that eventually stops. Even now, 10 weeks later I have my weak days %26amp; moments, but you get through them. Oh %26amp; you should be commended for quitting, my husband didn't. I'm okay w/ that but I would like him to quit at some point.
if you live in the uk, go to any pharmacist's normally the well known ones , and theres a scheme called ';giving up for baby'; i joined when i was 2 months pregnant.. the way it works is they start you on the high patch and every week you go to the chemist sit down and they check to see if you have been smoking but also if you pass you get 拢12.50 a week 拢50 pound a month to spend at asda's and another supermarket.. you receive that payment every month and you get great support from the person running the scheme. im 32 weeks preg now and haven't had a cig.. and the money ive been earning from it comes in handy for bits and bobs for baby coming.. its alot to understand what ive told you but def get her to go to the chemist its worth it and works .. xx
It's very important that you get her to quit. Every cigarette she smoke cuts off the baby oxygen. Pregnant woman who smoke their baby's come out premature. and can develop lung problems. It's your responsibility and hers. You see her with a cigarette. Throw it away. Throw all of them away. Please because with a unhealthy mom is a unhealthy baby.
it took my mothers spine surgeon that her first fusions failed because she was smoking and he wouldn't fix the damage until she quite. perhaps the hospital or doctor can arrange through a maternity ward where there are infants are suffering the effects of cigs during pregnancy. or any substance which can have negative effects on the child. perhaps seeing first hand would help give her that extra push.





good luck, try all you can but the change has and commitment has to come from her
';Smoking cigarettes (or marijuana) while you're pregnant can harm your fetus.





We have a doctor to explains the risks of smoking while you pregnant in this detailed video:


http://pregnancy.healthguru.com/content/鈥?/a>
My Dr. told me not to quit. Quitting causes stress and will harm the


baby. So I cut back to 5-7 a day. The result. 3 pregnancies, 3 big


and healthy babies. All because I listened to my Dr. His advice


benefited my children.
You are a good person to be so concerned about this.





Truth is, there is not a lot more you can do.


You can't help a person, who does not want to help themselves.





Keep persisting though, over-nagging is probably going to be a lot better than a smoking pregnant woman.
i smoked b4 getting pregnant. as soon as i found out, i quit. why put ur unborn child in danger? Its very selfish to keep smoking. i had a friend who also smoked, and her dr. actually told her to cut down but not quit because cutting cold turkey can actually harm the baby, dont know if thats true, maybe she just said that so no one would judge her. ask ur dr. about it.
maybe she can get some counselling to help her quit, tell her the effects that it could have on your unborn child. I was a heavy smoker and as soon as i found out i was pregnant i started to cut back drastically and than 2 weeks later i quit fully. Good LUck
Maybe you could provide her with some articles of what smoking does to your unborn child, although many smokers have healthy babies, some dont...so maybe once she sees how very serious it is she will quit, good luck and keep encouraging her.
Thats very bad ...coz it cuts the oxygen supply to the baby ..i would strongly suggest - Hypnosis is the best way to help you to quit smoking quickly, easily and inexpensively.
Distract yourself.
A friend of mine ate hard candy any time she wanted to smoke..... Maybe that could help?
I'm right there with her.
look for professional help..





Good luck to you and your wife..

No comments:

Post a Comment