Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I help my beautiful wife through her struggle with bulemia?

I need advice on how to help my wife. She has struggled with this for a couple of years. She has been doing soooo good for the past few months. I have gone through alot of stuff and she has been amazing helping me. Now I want to return the favor. Please help me help th love my life.How do I help my beautiful wife through her struggle with bulemia?
That's really nice that your being so understanding and caring :) it can be very frustrating for family members to watch a person suffer through something like an eating disorder when they can't fully understand it and wonder why the person does this to themselves. Especially because in your eyes they're beautiful! So she's really lucky to have someone like you :)


First of all is she seeing a mental health professional about this? Because if she isn't then she should be as they are trained to help the person deal with the feelings that come from having this disorder and therefore make them act the way they do. Get to the core of the problem and you can fix the rest!


Also don't get angry or frustrated with her because she can't help being like this. Always be her shoulder to cry on and her support that she can turn to at anytime and reassure her with compliments (sounds like you've got this sorted already)


You'll never understand what it is like to have the disorder but you can try. I don't know what country your living in but if you look on the internet or ask you doctor about local support groups that she herself can attend and talk to people who experience the same things that she does which can help (sometimes its good to know your not alone) and also there are support groups for you as a husband of someone with the disorder. These groups can be great in helping you at least be a little closer to understanding what shes going through and they can equip you with all the skills to help your wife 100 percent. Also talking to other people who's loved ones suffer from this can be good and can give you support and ideas. If she is seeing a psychologist or whatever you could suggest the option of a few therapy sessions together were you, her and the psychologist can talk over her problem and suggest ways for support.


I suffer from a disorder myself and people can be so uneducated about it and ignorant that the stuff they say can be very frustrating and annoying, like ';your just going to have to stop it'; and don't get that I CAN'T. Don't be one of these people. Educate yourself and this means that the things you say will be useful and understanding and not annoying and ignorant.


Let her feel that she can tell you anything, even if she slips up one day make sure she can tell you as this will be a relief for her and means that you can address why she slipped up and help her make sure it doesn't happen again.


I'm so glad that shes been doing good this past few months, I hope it just keeps getting better and better :)





Hope this helps, good luck!How do I help my beautiful wife through her struggle with bulemia?
People with eating disorders have low self esteem, and when under stress they tend to binge and purge, there is a euphoric feeling that comes with purgine. A sense of calm. I use to be bulimic. It was something I could control when the world around me seemed uncontrolable. Why am I telling you this, I guess to help you better understand your wife and what she is going through. She needs your unconditional love and support. Just be there to listen, and when she says things you don't quite understand just listen and tell her you love her. Being bulimic starts out as a way to lose weight, but it becomes so much more, that soon it really has nothing to do with weight. Good luck and God Bless
Just remind her that she is going to be beautiful at any weight and that you just dont care cause you love her for who she is not what she looks like. Good luck with that its hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment