Friday, August 20, 2010

How wife should file if I filed head of household?

I filed Head of household because we were considered unmarried due to living apart for over a year and I paid all of finances for home and dependents. What I need to know is how my wife should file now. Single or married separate.How wife should file if I filed head of household?
NOT enough info.


You may only file HOH IF you were married and lived apart the year, and have dependents. If you have no dependents, you MUST file MFJ or MFS, same for Wife. Need to get divorced to change your fiing status. How you file does not control how wife files.How wife should file if I filed head of household?
Did your dependent children live with YOU? If so, then you can file as HoH. If they lived with her, you can NOT file as HoH no matter how much support you provided. If she paid more than half of the cost of maintaining her home and has a qualifying dependent living with her then she can file as HoH as well. Anyone who cannot file as HoH must file Married Filing Separately.
Married filing separate
married filing separate

No comments:

Post a Comment