Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How can i get my wife to support my decision (Air Force Reserve)?

32 year old college grad with very low GPA (so no Officer School) Been trying to get into Law Enforcement for 2 years. It is extremely competitive these days. I'm running out of options here. Have 10 years of financial experience under my belt and NEED to make a career change. Always been interested in the Military. NOT afraid of combat or war. Just can't find a way to convince my wife that this will be good for me. We have 2 young girls and although they will be fine while i am in Basic Training, what worries her is if i get sent to Iraq and have to face combat time. I DO NOT TRUST recruiters. They try and sell you ANYTHING. I need real advice here. I really want this but i don't want to jeopardize my marriage.How can i get my wife to support my decision (Air Force Reserve)?
Tell her to stop tripping. It isn't like TV. Nothing is like it is in on TV and in movies. Tell her to not let you guys base your life on what she's seen in movies and magazines, so that you end up missing out on a great opportunity just because she watched Saving Private Ryan a few times.





If you join the military you can expect to deploy. Yes, even if it is the Reserves or Guard. BUT, back to my previous statement, which is that deployments really aren't like what civilians tend to imagine them as. In fact, the longer a person stays in the military, the more appealing deployments become. In my experience, at least.How can i get my wife to support my decision (Air Force Reserve)?
My dad was in the navy for 23 years, we were lucky and didn't have to move anywhere. You would most likely have to move every couple of years which is a down side. A good point to bring up would be that you would have a steady paycheck. You for sure will get a paycheck every month. You will also get health benefits. There are hospitals that if you are in the military you get free doctors and prescriptions. Another good point to bring up is that you want to serve your country. She might understand that. I would also look at all the options in the military with your wife and find the safest idea. Your 2 kids might understand. My dad missed a couple of my birthdays, but I don't mind too much. I understood that he was just doing his job. Hope this helps.
aIRFORCE RESERVES ONLY GET DIPLOYED FOR 6 MONTHS, TELL HER THAT. aIRFORCE IS THE SAFIST BRANCH OF MILITARY TO JOIN AS OPPSED TO MARINES AND ARMY
You have a better chance of dying in a car crash then in combat (right now).


You can't stop her from worrying about you.


Just talk with her about the Job (MOS) you want to do and what type of work it is. This might ease the fear if she knew that you would be in less danger.





Recruiters don't lie. They just won't tell you about the cruddy stuff. Like anything you try to sell, you focus on the positives
um Reserves are enlisted too, dear.





Bottom line, all you can do is lay out your (hopefully reasonable and valid) arguments for why you want to do this.





then deciude: if she is still opposed.. which is more important..serving, or the marriage. makwe sure you HONESTLY answer this question: will I resent my spouse if I don't enlist because of her ultimatum? will the marriage survive if I am misreable because I am not doing what i wanted to do.. serve in the military?
  • hair dryer
  • computer security
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment